Friday, September 11, 2009

More EGR issues!!!

This morning on the way to work, the EGR was really making the engine run rough and bog down. It woudl nearly die at stop lights and buck when I gave it a little gas. But eventually it smoothed out and I went to work without much further fuss. On the way home, all seemed well until I got off the freeway, then it was pinging like crazy and the idle was high... like no EGR at all.

I already had run into trouble with the 5 port vacuum port switch not running the Thermac system properly. It was allowing vacuum to the heat/cold door on the air cleaner snorkel when the engine was hot, which made the engine ping like crazy. I moved it to another port that is not used on my car where vacuum is cut off at the same time vacuum is turned on to EGR. And now this!

I ordered a different brand of vacuum port switches (yes, both the 3 and 5 port switches) and hopefully this will solve the problem. Once that is resolved, I think I need to either put the original EGR valve back in the car or recalibrate the new one with a different metering disc. It seems to be a bit too heavy on the exhaust gas intro. That or the carb needs to be rebuilt. What a mess!

No comments:

Post a Comment