Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Bad Vibrations


I've been noticing a harmonic vibration in the engine area for awhile, but last week when I drove to work and back it was particularly bad. I was beginning to think that there might be a very serious engine problem, or perhaps transmission... it could be felt in the pedals and the steering wheel quite strongly and only at certain engine speeds. Well this morning I was going to take Helen to work again as is usual on Wednesdays, and the vibration had not magically disappeared. So I popped the hood and right away I saw the problem was with the Air conditioning compressor. The clutch, rather. There is a ring that slips when the compressor is off and locks to turn when the compressor is on. That ring has come loose so that it can slip off center on the shaft, causing an severe imbalance. The red arrow is pointing to the raised ring I'm referring to. The clutch is replaceable and a new set is arriving Friday. Actually just that front part is replaceable without buying the rest of the clutch, but I got a good price at Amazon and decided I might as well do the whole assembly.



No comments:

Post a Comment